SPSS Statistics is a statistical analysis program containing a full suite of analysis tools and allows for multiple types of output. All installations of SPSS Statistics include three modules: Base, Advanced, and Regression. SPSS Statistics version 24 is the latest version available on campus for both Windows and Mac computers.
Academic departments may purchase a yearly network license from DIIS or purchase the software individually directly from SPSS or one of their providers. The network license cost (currently $85 annually) is much less then what an individual can purchase, but has some constraints associated with it:
- Ithaca College has an SPSS "network" license for teaching and non-commercial academic research only; administrative departments must purchase SPSS directly from IBM/SPSS on their own (see Other SPSS Statistics License Options at bottom of page)
- The network license requires that the computer on which the software is installed be connected directly to the campus wired network, or to the ICAirnet-Secure wireless network. When you need to use SPSS away from campus, see Using SPSS Statistics Away from the Ithaca College Network, below.
- Subscriptions are only valid for the period from June 1 - May 31, must be renewed yearly, and are NOT pro-rated
- To purchase or renew an SPSS Statistics license, use the "SPSS Order/Renewal Form" link at right to access the SPSS Statistics order form.
Using SPSS Statistics Away from the Ithaca College Network
There are two options for using SPSS Statistics software when away from campus:
- Run SPSS from an off-campus Internet connection in conjunction with Pulse Secure software. Pulse Secure is a VPN (virtual private network) tool that allows you to use a non-IC Internet connection to access certain Ithaca College resources as if you were on campus. Pulse Secure can be used with personal or college computers. Due to varying hardware, software, Web browser, and operating system configurations, particularly of personally-owned computers, DIIS cannot guarantee that every computer will be able to successfully connect with Pulse Secure. For more information about installing, configuring, and using Pulse Secure, see /diis/services/remote_access/.
- Run SPSS with no Internet connection using an SPSS commuter license. A commuter license allows you to "check out" a license while on campus or when using a Pulse Secure connection, then disconnect from the Internet and use SPSS for up to 7 days without a network connection.
Using a Commuter License:
- While the computer is connected to the IC network (or using a Pulse Secure remote access connection):
Windows: Go to Start → All Programs → SPSS for Windows → SPSS Commuter License
Mac: Go to Applications → SPSSInc → Statistics[version] → SPSS Statistics [version] → Commute License Utility
- In the window that opens click once on your version of SPSS Statistics to highlight it.
- In the Duration (days): field at the bottom of the window enter the number of days (up to 7) that you would like to use the commuter license
- Click the Check Out button
- Click Exit
You can now disconnect from the Internet and launch the SPSS Statistics program and use it without an Internet connection for the number of days specified during check out.
Commuter License Tips
- If your commuter license expires you can connect to the Internet again to check out another commuter license.
- Remember to check in your license (using the "Check In" button following the same steps as shown above) if you use it for less time than specified during check out. This makes the license available to other users who may need it.
- Commuter licenses are available on a "first come, first served" basis. The check-out screen will indicate how many, if any, licenses are available for check out.
Lab and eClassroom Access
SPSS Statistics is installed in all DIIS-managed labs and eClassrooms.
Other SPSS Statistics License Options:
SPSS Statistics Student Versions for Windows:
Available online through the "OnTheHub" e-store:
SPSS Statistics Faculty Pack
Available to IC faculty for a $274.00 + $4.99 Download Fee (as of 5/7/14). This is a single-user 12-month subscription license rental which does not require an Internet connection for use (other than to download and register the software). This option includes several SPSS modules (including AMOS) and may be appropriate for laptop users who regularly need to use SPSS Statistics when no network connection is available. More information is available here:
The Faculty Pack license option is only available through the "OnTheHub" e-store:
(Please note: The AMOS module - Analysis of Moment Structures - is NOT included in the Mac version of the SPSS Faculty Pack as of 5/7/13.)
SPSS for Administrative and other Non-Academic Users
Administrative and other non-academic users who wish to use SPSS must purchase single-user licenses directly from IBM/SPSS. The college's network license is limited to academic teaching and research use only. To obtain pricing or to place an order, contact:
Terence Mangahasm IBM Acquisitions Subscription and Support
Or call SPSS at 1-877-426-3774
SPSS Statistics (with Base, Advanced and Regression) is installed on Windows computers in DIIS-managed labs and eClassrooms by default. It is not installed by default on Mac computers in these spaces unless requested.