Distance Learning Complaint Process for Out-of-State Students

Participation in NC-SARA

Ithaca College is approved by New York State to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). SARA is an agreement among members states, districts, and territories that establishes one set of standards and regulations for offering postsecondary distance education courses and programs. Its purpose is to “provide broad access to postsecondary education opportunities to students across the country, to increase the quality and value of higher learning credentials earned via distance education, and to assure students are well served in a rapidly changing landscape” (see NC-SARA bylaws, 2019).

Complaint Process for Out-of-State Students

If out-of-state students (those students residing in another state while completing a course for Ithaca College) have academic concerns they wish to resolve, they should follow the procedures in the Ithaca College Policy Manual concerning academic complaints or disputes

The petition and complaint processes for topic-specific concerns are available here. Concerns regarding the topics below should be sent in writing to provost@ithaca.edu with a copy to legal@ithaca.edu.: 

  1. Recruitment or marketing materials;
  2. Job placement data;
  3. Information about undergraduate or graduate tuition, fees, or financial aid;
  4. Information about admission requirements;
  5. Information about the institution’s accreditation;
  6. Information about whether course work meets relevant professional licensing requirements or the requirements of specialized accrediting bodies; and
  7. Information about the transferability of course work to other institutions.

In the event the internal complaint process does not result in a resolution, the student should follow the SARA Student Complaint Process and contact the New York State Education Department, which serves as the SARA State Portal Entity.

SARA State Portal Entity Contact

Contact: Andrea Richards

Title: Supervisor of Higher Education Programs

Phone: 518.474.1551



New York State Education Department
89 Washington Ave
Albany, NY 12234

Students can read more about the NYSED Complaint Procedure and how to file a complaint with the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Students may also contact the State Portal Entity in their home state.