Educational Benefits

Employee Tuition Remission

Ithaca College offers eligible employees the opportunity to take courses that enhance work performance, promote self-improvement, or provide qualifications for career advancement. Tuition remission covers the balance due of tuition charged less any scholarships or grants creditable toward tuition. All other costs (e.g., registration fees, applied music fees) are the employee's responsibility.  The Executive Masters in Communications Program is not covered under tuition remission.


Tuition remission benefits for undergraduate and graduate courses are available to any benefits-eligible employee (defined in the Eligibility Requirements section) who has successfully completed the probationary period by the first day of classes. If the employee's status changes during the semester, continuation of the benefit may be affected.

In some circumstances, graduate tuition may be regarded as taxable income. For additional information, contact the Office of Human Resources.

Faculty members may apply for tuition remission for courses that are outside their discipline. Approval from the dean of their school is required.

If you are a Full-time Staff member, matriculated in a degree program, you may be eligible to apply for the JJ Staff Scholar Award. For more information visit /staffcouncil/jjstaffscholaraward/.

Return to Top of Page


During the Regular Academic Year
Certain restrictions apply to an employee's Tuition Remission benefit. The maximum number of credit hours granted for each eligible employee may not exceed 8 per semester. An employee should not be absent from his or her job for more than three hours per week and is subject to supervisory approval. Classes must be scheduled with first consideration for the work demands of the department, and all classes must be approved in advance by the supervisor.

All classes, including internships and independent studies, are covered during the regular academic year.

During the Summer Period and Winter Break
Employees may not enroll for more than 8 credit hours in summer sessions I and II combined and 8 credit hours in the winter and spring term combined. In addition, they should not be absent from their jobs for more than three hours per week, subject to supervisory approval.

Tuition Remission benefits are not applicable for most courses from which faculty compensation is derived as a percentage of revenue generated, i.e., for independent studies, tutorials, internships, performance study instruction, or any other type of individualized study. Students enrolled in a course of study that requires individualized study during the summer period or the winter break should contact the Office of Human Resources before applying for any Tuition Remission benefits. An employee who wishes to take an independent study that is not covered under the Tuition Remission benefit would have to pay the normal per-hour tuition rate. In addition, Tuition Remission benefits can be applied only to undergraduate courses in which at least seven tuition-paying students have enrolled or to graduate courses in which at least four tuition-paying students have enrolled.

Return to Top of Page


The customary fee to audit a course is covered under the Tuition Remission benefit for benefits-eligible employees once they have successfully completed their probationary period. Employees are responsible for paying any fees.

Return to Top of Page


If an employee who is receiving Tuition Remission benefits terminates employment for reasons other than retirement, death, or eligibility for long term disability benefits, Ithaca College reserves the right to provide benefits only until the date of termination. There will be no cost to the former employee if the course is dropped by the termination date.

Return to Top of Page


Applicants should obtain course registration information from the Office of Extended Studies or the Registrar's Office, depending on their enrollment status. They should then fill out the Staff/Faculty Tuition Remission Application, available from the Office of Human Resources, have their supervisor, chairperson, or dean sign it, and return the form to the Office of Human Resources one month before the start of each semester.

Return to Top of Page