If a job changes significantly, a review for reclassification should be conducted. A reclassification request is not permitted more than once per year. The following steps should be undertaken:
- The department supervisor should update/revise the job description to reflect the new responsibilities and any related skill requirements.
- Human Resources will review the job description and determine the pay band assignment based on the competitive market salary for the job and a relative comparison of jobs currently in the pay band structure using the job group and leveling framework (see Appendix B for the definitions of job groups and the levels).
- Once the job has been assigned to a pay band, Human Resources will determine whether a salary adjustment should be recommended and, if so, what should be its magnitude
- The incumbent’s skills, knowledge, experience, and performance will be reviewed along with the relative change in job duties and responsibilities.
- The salaries for incumbents in similar or related jobs will be reviewed to check for internal equity prior to making a salary adjustment. (see section on Transfer to a Job in the Same Pay Band and Promotion to a Job in a Higher Salary