Welcome to the First-Year Residential Experience (FYRE) at Ithaca College! FYRE is an educational, community experience that provides support for a student’s transition to IC and prompts students to consider their role in a community. First-year students in FYRE have opportunities to meet people from varying backgrounds and perspectives, participate in interesting and engaging activities, connect with faculty and staff, and learn about the importance of sustainability within our community.
The mission of FYRE is to provide a year-long, intentional living-learning environment that eases student transitions, develops strong, active communities, and stimulates intellectual curiosity. Our FYRE program helps students achieve a set of student learning outcomes through a combination of interactive educational experiences. Within FYRE, students have the opportunity to learn about:
- strengths they possess and how they can apply those skills to advance the community
- the responsibilities of being an active community member
- the benefits of engaging with diverse perspectives
- concepts of sustainability and sustainability’s role in the community
- ways you can nurture positive interactions with others
Our FYRE program asks students to be active participants in their community experience by helping shape community events, participating in community council, and sharing ideas with the faculty and staff working with the community.
FYRE is located in the following residential clusters:
- Upper Quads:
- Rowland, Tallcott, Hilliard, Hood, and Holmes Halls
- Lower Quads:
- Eastman, Lyon, Landon, and Bogart Halls
- East and West Towers
- T3 (for those in the OALC RLC) and T5 (for those in Quiet Study)
FYRE residence halls are located within a short walk to the Dining Halls, the Campus Center, the Academic Enrichment Services Office, the Library, the Academic Quad, the Office of Residential Life, the Fitness Center, and more. There are social lounges, a TV lounge, laundry facilities, and a kitchen/kitchenette within each residence hall. See the amenities which are available in the FYRE residence halls by viewing these community pages: Quads, Towers, and Terraces.