Incoming Students FAQs

What's the purpose of the ICC?

The Integrative Core Curriculum (ICC) is the set of liberal arts requirements that comprise the common academic experience for all Ithaca College students. The program is designed to help students develop skills in integrative thinking, critical and analytical problem solving, and reflective learning. All three of these skills have been identified by both employers and professional societies as essential for success in 21st century personal and professional life.

What writing requirements must I complete for the ICC?

All students must complete two writing requirements for the ICC: Academic Writing and Writing Intensive.

Academic Writing focuses on developing the broad academic writing skills needed to succeed at the college level. This requirement can be fulfilled by successfully completing WRTG 10600 or ICSM 10800. Students may also satisfy this requirement through Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate exams (see the academic catalog for details), or by transferring credit for an equivalent college-level course (see the Department of Writing for details). NOTE: Students who enter Ithaca College with credit for Academic Writing should NOT enroll in an ICSM10800, as you will earn credit for only one course.

Academic Writing Flowchart

Writing Intensive courses focus on developing writing within the context of a single discipline. This requirement can be met by successfully completing an Ithaca College course designated WI. Approved courses appear on this website and in the Ithaca College Catalog. Students wishing to transfer credit for the WI requirement should complete the ICC Transfer Credit Evaluation request form for review. Transfer courses taken after enrolling at Ithaca College must be approved before taking the course by completing the Petition for Transfer Credit form available in IC Workflow.

I am planning on taking a course this summer at another institution that will transfer in as course specific credit for an ICC themes & perspective course. Do I get ICC credit?

Course specific transfer credit can be applied to the major, minor, or concentration but does not satisfy the ICC Themes & Perspective requirements. Perspectives courses must be taken at Ithaca College or through an approved study abroad program. Courses taken through the Ithaca-Cornell Exchange are considered transfer courses for the purposes of the ICC Please contact your the ICC directly to discuss your plans for transfer credit. If you are a transfer student, please consult the resources for transfer students elsewhere on this website. 

I have AP credit for HIST 11200 U.S. History Since 1865 which is an ICC Diversity designated course. Why is this not showing up in degree evaluation?

Transfer courses and AP equivalent courses are evaluated independently for course specific equivalency and ICC equivalency. The content of a transfer course or AP course may align with course specific content but not meet the ICC learning outcomes. In this case, it was the determination of IC's History faculty that AP History covers the historical content of U.S. History Since 1865 but does not address the ICC Diversity learning outcomes.

If you have questions about ICC course equivalencies please contact the Director of the ICC at

I am a double major. Can the courses from one of my majors be applied to the ICC themes & perspectives requirements?

Yes, ICC themes & perspective courses need to be completed outside of one major. Courses from a second major can be used to meet themes & perspective requirements. Please contact your faculty advisor or the Director of the ICC at if you have specific questions on how to meet ICC requirements with a double major or dual degree.

Is there a convenient way to view ICC course offerings for next semester or during the winter session or summer session?

The ICC designated courses can be found on our ICC Grids located on our Student Resources page While these grids are periodically updated during the registration period, please note that HomerConnect is the final authority regarding ICC course designations. Feel free to drop-in or schedule an appointment for help with searching HomerConnect or DegreeWorks for ICC designated courses. 

Can ICC designated courses be taken S/D/F?

Students need to pass ICC designated courses for them to count towards the ICC requirements. A passing grade can be met with a letter grade above a D- or with an S. Students can request the S/D/F option for ICC themes & perspective courses and attribute courses outside the major. Please refer to the catalog for additional information about the S/D/F options.

Learn more about the S/D/F option from this Intercom Article.

I am planning to study abroad next semester. Can courses apply toward ICC requirements?

Study abroad courses may be applied to ICC requirements, including themes & perspective requirements. Before traveling complete the CCR study abroad petition, Please work with your advisor or the Director of the ICC for help with the study abroad form. Courses taken at the London Center and LA programs are not considered study abroad courses and must have ICC designation in order to apply them to ICC requirements. Specific information for study abroad can be found on the ICC webpage, under the tab “Resources for Students” and section titled “Are you planning to study abroad?”

How do I go about having a transfer course evaluated for possible ICC credit?

Transfer courses are initially evaluated by the Office of the Registrar when you enter the institution and a transcript is received. If you believe a course might meet ICC learning outcomes but it is not so designated during the initial evaluation, please complete this form to have your course reviewed.

If you are planning to take a course at another institution in the future (e.g., during the summer) and wish to use the credit to fulfill ICC quantitative literacy, diversity, or writing intensive requirements, you must also complete the Petition for Transfer Credit form from the Office of the Registrar. You are strongly encouraged to complete this form before taking the course so that you know in advance how the credits will come into the institution.

Can I use AP or other exams or courses taken outside of Ithaca College to fulfill ICC requirements?

Students may ask to apply credits earned at other institutions or granted on the basis of AP/IB/CLEP scores to fulfillment of the following ICC components: Academic Writing, Quantitative Literacy, Diversity, and Writing Intensive. Please note that expectations for each of these components vary--you'll find more information elsewhere on the ICC website. 

Students may not apply credits earned at other institutions or granted on the basis of AP/IB/CLEP score or any other standardized examination program from which Ithaca College awards credit toward fulfillment of the Themes and Perspectives or ICC Capstone components of the ICC.