Program Requirements FAQs

What writing requirements must I complete for the ICC?

All students must complete two writing requirements for the ICC: First Year Composition and Writing Intensive.

First Year Composition focuses on developing the broad academic writing skills needed to succeed at the college level. This requirement can be fulfilled by successfully completing WRTG10600, ICSM108xx or ICSM118xx; by scoring a 4 or 5 on the AP English Language & Composition or English Literature & Composition exam; or by transferring credit for a course equivalent to WRTG10600. Students who enter Ithaca College with Advanced Placement or transfer credit for the First Year Composition requirement should NOT enroll in an ICSM108xx or ICSM118xx, as you will earn credit for only one course.

Academic Writing Flowchart

Writing Intensive courses focus on developing writing within the context of a single discipline. This requirement can be met by successfully completing an Ithaca College course designated WI. Approved courses appear on this website and in the Ithaca College Catalog. Students wishing to transfer credit for the WI requirement must send the name/number of the course, institution where taken, and a copy of the syllabus to for review. Transfer courses taken after enrolling at Ithaca College must be approved before taking the course by completing the Petition for Transfer Credit form available in IC Workflow.

What do I need to do if I want to take summer courses at another institution and transfer them to fulfill ICC requirements?

Petition for transfer credit forms are available from the Office of the Registrar. You need to complete that form before taking your summer course to be certain that credit will transfer. If you want to have the transfer course fulfill an ICC requirement, please complete the ICC Transfer Credit Evaluation form before taking your summer course so that the course can be reviewed for ICC equivalence. Keep in mind that only Academic Writing I, Diversity, Quantitative Literacy, and Writing Intensive can be fulfilled by transfer credit. Perspectives courses and the ICC capstone cannot be completed at another institution.

I am planning on taking a course this summer at another institution that will transfer in as course specific credit for an ICC perspective course. Do I get ICC credit?

For matriculated students, courses for ICC Perspective designation need to be completed at Ithaca College or with an approved study abroad course. Course specific transfer credit can be applied to the major, minor, or concentration but does not satisfy the ICC Perspective requirements. The transfer course will not populate the ICC portion of degree evaluation.

I have AP credit for HIST 11200 U.S. History Since 1865 which is an ICC Diversity designated course. Why is this not showing up in degree evaluation?

Transfer courses and AP equivalent courses are evaluated independently for course specific equivalency and ICC equivalency. The content of a transfer course or AP course may align with course specific content but not meet the ICC learning outcomes. In this case, AP History covers the historical content of U.S. History Since 1865 but does not address the ICC Diversity learning outcomes.

If you have questions about ICC course equivalencies please contact the Director of the ICC at

I am a double major. Can the courses from one of my majors be applied to the ICC themes & perspectives requirements?

Yes, ICC perspective courses need to be completed outside of one major. Courses from a second major can be used to meet perspective requirements. Please contact your faculty advisor or the ICC Team at if you have specific questions on how to meet ICC requirements with a double major or dual degree.

Is there a convenient way to view ICC course offerings for next semester or during the winter session or summer session?

The ICC designated courses can be found on our ICC Grids located on our Student Resources page While these grids are periodically updated during the registration period, please note that HomerConnect is the final authority regarding ICC course designations. Feel free to drop-in or schedule an appointment for help with searching HomerConnect or DegreeWorks for ICC designated courses. 

Can ICC designated courses be taken S/D/F?

Students need to pass ICC designated courses for them to count towards the ICC requirements. A passing grade can be met with a letter grade above a D- or with an S. Students can request the S/D/F option for ICC themes & perspective courses and attribute courses outside the major. Please refer to the catalog for additional information about the S/D/F options.

I am planning to study abroad next semester. Can courses apply toward ICC requirements?

Study abroad courses may be applied to ICC requirements, including perspective requirements. Before traveling, complete the CCR study abroad petition, Please work with your advisor or the Director of the ICC for help with the study abroad form. Courses taken at the London Center, ICNYC, and LA programs are not considered study abroad courses and must have ICC designation in order to apply them to ICC requirements. Specific information for study abroad can be found on the ICC webpage, under the tab “Resources for Students” and section titled “Are you planning to study abroad?”

How do I go about having a transfer course evaluated for possible ICC credit?

Transfer courses are initially evaluated by the Office of the Registrar when you enter the institution and a transcript is received. If you believe a course might meet ICC learning outcomes but it is not so designated during the initial evaluation, please complete this form to have your course reviewed.

If you are planning to take a course at another institution in the future (e.g., during the summer) and wish to use the credit to fulfill ICC quantitative literacy, diversity, or writing intensive requirements, you will also need to obtain a "Petition for Transfer Credit" form from the Office of the Registrar and obtain the signatures listed on the form. You are strongly encouraged to complete this form before taking the course so that you know in advance how the credits will come into the institution.

How do I complete the first-year composition requirement?

Students may fulfill this requirement by: successfully completing WRTG10600, ICSM108xx, or ICSM118xx; by scoring a 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement English Language & Composition or English Literature & Composition examination; or by transferring in a course from another regionally accredited college or university that is equivalent to WRTG10600.

Academic Writing Flowchart

How do I know which courses can be used to fulfill ICC requirements?

As they are formally approved, courses are added to the Homer course schedule.

Within the Homer course schedule, ICC designated courses are tagged with designators. Student-style course search (advanced) allows you to search for ICC course by designator. Current ICC course designators are:

CA = Creative Arts perspective

HM = Humanities perspective

SC = Natural Sciences perspective

SO = Social Sciences perspective

DV = Diversity

QL = Quantitative Literacy

WI = Writing Intensive

CP = ICC Capstone

Do I have to complete all of my ICC requirements during my first two years at Ithaca College?

No. Some students will complete all or most of their ICC requirements during their first two years at Ithaca College. Other students, particularly those whose majors are credit intensive in the first two years, may take a significant number of their ICC courses later in their time at Ithaca College.

How do I know what ICC courses will be offered in a given semester?

Individual courses receive designators within the course registration system. You can use the search function within HomerConnect to search by perspective or other ICC designator.

Feel free to drop-in or schedule an appointment for help with searching HomerConnect or DegreeWorks for ICC designated courses.