James B. Pendleton Grant for Festival, Exhibition, and Conference Participation
As part of an ongoing initiative to encourage student participation in professional level events, a portion of the Pendleton funds are set aside specifically to support student submission to, as well as attendance at, film, photography, screenwriting and/or scholarly festivals, seminars, and related academic conferences: e.g., Ann Arbor Film Festival, Toronto International Film Festival, Society for Photographic Education Conference, College Art Association Conference, Cine Story, Scriptapalooza, Flaherty seminar. The maximum award amount is $500, no more than $75 of which may be used for entrance/submission fees.
Open to all Cinema, Photography, and Media Arts majors and Writing for Film, Television and Emerging Media majors to enter work into or to attend Department-approved festivals, seminars, and conferences such as those listed above. Students must obtain a faculty sponsor. Special consideration will be given to students whose films, photographs, screenplays, or papers have been accepted to these events and have been invited to attend with their work. Work must have been completed in a course in their degree program. Graduates of the program will be allowed to apply for this grant up to six months after their graduation date.
Also, faculty members may apply for funds to take a group of students to a specific festival, seminar or conference.
In order to be considered for support, students must submit the following:
- A narrative description of the event, including the location and time of the event, as well as information attesting to the relevance of the event to the student’s chosen course of study or intended career.
- The name of the sponsoring faculty member.
- A detailed description of the costs to be incurred.
- Verification of invitation to attend or selection for the festival, seminar, or conference (if applicable).
- Copy of program/festival literature. If information is from a web site, please print the information and attach it.
Applicants will be reviewed on a continuing basis by the Chair of the Cinema, Photography, and Media Arts Department.