7.5.1 Residence/Off-Campus Policy

Ithaca College is a residential college. The College recognizes the developmental value of a residentially based education and believes that residence hall living is a key component of a student's overall educational experience. For these reasons, provisions are made to house all students on campus throughout their undergraduate years. Students are required to live on campus for their freshman, sophomore and junior years, unless they apply for and receive off-campus approval from the Office of Residential Life. Priority for housing selection and off-campus approval is based upon the number of semesters a student has lived in on-campus housing.

A student with senior year status is considered exempt from the residence policy. Under current housing processes a senior is a student who has completed six or more semesters at the start of the fall semester. If a rising senior, a student who has completed 5 or more semesters by the time of housing selection held during the spring semester, secures on-campus housing for the following academic year, the student relinquishes their senior year exempt status. Seniors who have relinquished their senior year exempt status, and later wish to live off-campus, will need to apply for and receive off-campus approval from the Office of Residential Life. Non-seniors or seniors who have relinquished their senior year status as indicated above, and move off campus without the written approval of the Office of Residential Life will be billed for room and board charges. The College remains committed to maintaining fully occupied residence halls. Recognizing that over-occupied residence halls can negatively affect the community if housing projections for an upcoming academic year indicate that the residence halls will be over-occupied, a limited off-campus application process may be conducted for non-seniors and for seniors who have relinquished their senior year exempt status. Students should not sign off-campus lease agreements in anticipation of being approved to live off campus. The Office of Residential Life offers one off-campus process to grant off-campus approval for the following academic year. There are no provisions for exceptions to the off-campus policy. At any time, a student living off campus may request to return to campus housing. These requests will be reviewed and approved on a space available basis.

Readmitted students and students returning from the London Center, other Ithaca College study-abroad programs, the Ithaca College communications program in Los Angeles, the Washington Semester Program, the NYC Program and student teaching or internships etc., or from a leave of absence must resume their previous housing status (i.e. campus resident or off campus) upon return to campus, unless they have senior-year exempt status and have not relinquished that status as detailed above. Married students, students in domestic partnerships or civil unions, students who are 23 years of age or older, incoming transfer students who have previously been enrolled at a college for at least two years, students with dependents, and students who meet the criteria for being a commuter student as defined by the College's commuter policy (see section below), are not required to live in College-provided housing. Students who meet the exempt criteria and opt to live on campus must remain on campus for the entire academic year.

Occasionally, the demand for housing by incoming students or returning students may exceed the capacity of our residence halls. In this event, students may be assigned to temporary accommodations. Readmitted students to housing may be notified that on-campus housing is not available for them.

If a student has documented special needs, the Office of Residential Life will make every effort to provide the most appropriate on-campus housing assignment, in consultation with health services, academic support services, counseling and wellness center or other appropriate college offices. Commuter Policy

A student is eligible for commuter status if he or she lives within a 60-mile driving distance of Ithaca College and is living at the home of a parent or legal guardian. Students seeking commuter status must complete a commuter request application (available at the Office of Residential Life) and receive written approval from the Office of Residential Life in order to be released from room and board charges. Students who cease to meet the criteria for commuter status will be required to reside on campus and will be billed for appropriate room and board charges. Any student who misrepresents him- or herself as a commuter student may be subject to disciplinary action under the student conduct code and may be billed for room and board charges. Part-Time Students

Undergraduate students who are not enrolled full time (i.e., for at least 12 credits per semester) at Ithaca College may be subject to removal from the residence halls at the discretion of the Office of Residential Life. However, dropping to part-time status does not automatically make a student exempt from living on campus. Any questions regarding part-time status should be directed to the Office of Residential Life. Board Requirements

All students residing in College housing facilities (with the exception of apartments in the Quads, College Circle, and Garden Apartments) must participate in the College meal plan. The Carte Blanche, 14 and 10 meal plans are available for on-campus resident students. A commuter meal plan is also available only to apartment residents and off-campus students. Students who have special dietary needs should contact Dining Services.

Last Updated: November 22, 2013