Financial Aid for Degree Requirements

Federal regulations mandate that federal financial aid may only be awarded for courses that count toward the student’s degree. Additional courses, or non-required courses cannot be used to determine enrollment status for federal financial aid.

Many IC programs require elective credits; courses applying to an elective requirement, or the 120-hour requirement count as degree requirements.

For students receiving federal financial aid, while you can certainly take courses outside of your academic requirements, these courses will not count for federal financial aid enrollment status which may result in your federal financial being reduced or canceled.

Repeat Coursework - Students receiving Federal aid may repeat a course once after receiving a passing grade. The class must be required for the declared degree. If a student decides to repeat a course with a passing grade for a second time, the student is responsible for payment.  Please be aware that repeating classes may impact your Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Federal Title IV Student Aid includes:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  • Federal Work Study
  • Direct Subsidized Loan
  • Direct Unsubsidized Loan
  • Direct PLUS Loan