The School of Humanities and Sciences encourages and supports students as they gain knowledge and professional experience in their chosen field. As part of that support, the H&S Student Conference Fund was created to assist students who have conducted original research, scholarship, or creative inquiry project, and are presenting their work at conferences. The Fund provides reimbursement for travel costs associated with conference attendance. This fund was made possible by the generous donors to the School of Humanities and Sciences Annual Fund.
Individual student applicants will be awarded between $300 and $750, depending on the type of conference (whether the conference is a student-oriented conference, a professional regional conference, or a professional national conference) and on the distance from IC (whether the conference is within driving distance, e.g., up to 8 hours away, or requires air travel).
Group applicants will be awarded a maximum of $2,250 (between $300 and $750 per student for small groups) for the group trip, no matter how many students are going.
Complete, signed applications including accompanying documentation, must be received in the H&S Dean's office (Muller Faculty Center, rm. 201) by the appropriate deadline listed below:
- to attend conferences within driving distance, at least 3 weeks in advance of the conference date.
- to attend conferences requiring air travel, at least 6 weeks in advance of the conference date; this deadline is non-negotiable for travel outside the United States.
- Students must have a major in the School of Humanities and Sciences.
- Students must be in good academic standing.
- Students must be presenting at the conference, and provide verification that the paper, poster, or presentation has been accepted at the conference.
- Multiple conference applications in both the previous and the current academic year for any individual applicant may not be approved.
What are the student learning outcomes supported by the Student Travel Fund?
Students who received these grants will be able to:
integrate theory and practice in the development and execution of research, professional, or creative projects that extend beyond the classroom; and/or
enhance their understanding of academic content gained in the classroom/course with direct engagement with the subject of study; and/or
develop their professional skills and/or their understanding of careers and professional requirements.
What kinds of expenses can be covered?
Examples include (but are not limited to):
Travel expenses (e.g., car rental, air tickets, hotel costs; meals are not covered unless included in a registration fee)
Fees for conference or meeting registration
Please fill out this online application if you are interested in receiving funding. This form can be completed by the student who is traveling to the conference, by a student organizing a group of other students all going to the same conference, or by a faculty sponsor for an individual or group of students. Additional instructions are provided on the application form.
Questions can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 607-274-3102.