The Tenants' and Users' Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP) is also known as "Events Coverage," and is used by institutions that permit "third parties" (non-Ithaca College parties with no relation to the institution) to use their facilities for specific events. It protects both the facility user and the institution against claims by third parties who may be injured or loss of property arising out of the use of College premises by the third parties. 

Events may range from very low-risk events such as classroom seminars, receptions, or weddings to higher risk events including academic camps or rock concerts. It does not include sports camps.

What Ithaca College Requires

The College requires all organizations/facility users who host events or programs on campus for a non-Ithaca College event to be insured and carry general liability insurance.  Because of the inability of some third-party users to obtain general liability insurance on their own, the College is enrolled in the Tenants' and Users' Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP) designed for third-party facility users who need to purchase the insurance.

Users must provide evidence of such coverage, according to the insurance limits required in the College contract, via a Certificate of Insurance to the office booking your event and to the Office of Risk Management three weeks prior to the event. This requirement can be satisfied by purchasing a general liability policy through TULIP and by providing a Certificate of Insurance. 

Purchasing General Liability Insurance

If you need to purchase general liability insurance, Ithaca College is enrolled in the University Risk Management and Insurance Association (URMIA) TULIP Program.  TULIP was designed to provide low-cost general liability insurance to users of College facilities through an online purchasing process. As such, coverage may not be available for all event types, since policy exclusions do exist. Use of this program is not a guarantee for insurance.  Premium costs will be paid by the third party (the party who needs to purchase the insurance).  Premium costs are based on the nature of the event, the duration of the event, the number of participants, and the level of risk of the event.

Excess general liability insurance is also available for up to $5 million.

Providing Your Own General Liability Insurance

If you are providing your own general liability insurance, you will need to provide a Certificate of Insurance to show evidence of general liability insurance to cover the event and use of College facilities. The Certificate of Insurance must provide a minimum of $1 million in coverage limits, plus $5 million excess general liability insurance as higher limits may be required via contract depending on the type/risk of the event, and include Ithaca College as the certificate holder and as an additional insured for the event and use of facilities. The Certificate of Insurance should be sent three weeks prior to the event to:

Office of Risk Management
319 Peggy Ryan Williams Center
Ithaca College
953 Danby Rd.
Ithaca, NY 14850

If you have any questions, please contact Risk Management at (607) 274-3285.