Currently, Ithaca College offers two self defense courses:
The 3-hour Self-Defense Workshop is for available for any IC community member and is a great way to become familiar with risk awareness and prevention, physical defense, and self-reliance. This course doesn't take a lot of time, but gives you a lot of skills and training that enable you to feel empowered to defend yourself. This is also a great segue for women* to the 12-hour R.A.D. course.
The R.A.D. System teaches:
Risk Reduction Principles
- Classwork includes techniques on personal self-awareness and surroundings
- Enhance your preparedness for maintaining personal safety and empowerment
Physical self-defense techniques
- Learn your physical strengths
- Appropriate defense and targeting in confrontations
Simulations (Selected classes)
- Opportunity to use techniques learned
- Students respond in assault scenarios
- Optional at student's discretion
Other Training Programs and Resources
Currently, instructors are only certified for the R.A.D. for Women. However, Ithaca College offers a wide variety of sexual assault prevention training programs and resources for all community members throughout the year. View more information at the SHARE website.