Services Provided to Campus Community

The Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management (Public Safety) offers the following services free of charge:

Jump Starts
In response to the problem of dead batteries in automobiles, Public Safety implemented the vehicle jump-start program. By simply calling our dispatchers at 607-274-3333 or via a blue-light phone, anyone on campus can have their car jump-started, at no charge, from a specially equipped patrol vehicle or from one of the department-owned jump packs. SASP members have been trained to perform this duty, as have public safety officers and members of Ithaca College Parking Services.

Lock Outs
If you've locked your keys in your car, we have equipment that can open most vehicles. Call 607-274-3333.

Roadside Assistance
If you're having problems with your vehicle, contact Public Safety and an officer will respond and attempt to assist you. We can also recommend several qualified towing companies that can help get your vehicle running.

Lost and Found
Public Safety serves as the official lost-and-found repository for the College. If you've lost something, please give us a call at 607-274-3353 to see if the item has been turned in or submit the information on our Lost and Found Property site and someone will get back to you.

Wildlife Control Program
Ithaca College is surrounded by both fields and wooded areas. By virtue of its setting, wildlife (deer, skunks, pigeons, bats, birds, raccoons, etc.) may require rescue, cause property damage, or create a hazard to themselves or to humans. Examples include a bird that has flown inside a building, a young raccoon separated from its mother, or a bird nest in an outdoor light fixture, creating a fire hazard.

If you notice an animal in distress on campus or a safety hazard involving wildlife, contact Public Safety at 607-274-3333. An officer will respond and, if necessary, contact a wildlife professional.

Please do not attempt to help a wild animal yourself. You are likely to put yourself and the animal at risk. Euthanasia of wildlife occurs only if the animal is severely ill, injured, or it cannot be humanely released on campus. State regulations specifically forbid relocation to another site. In most cases, animals that are safely captured by professionals can be returned immediately to campus wild areas or placed with a wildlife rehabilitator for care.