2.23 Travel Policies

2.23 Travel Policies

Ithaca College Travel Policy


It is understood that College business may require staff/faculty to travel. Individuals should conduct their travel with an awareness that they are using College funds, the vast majority of which are derived from student tuition payments. It is our responsibility to be attentive to the reasonable and effective use of the resources provided by our students and their families for their education. Ithaca College will pay for normal, reasonable and prudent business related expenses that are incurred by individuals traveling on official College business whose purpose is to further the mission of Ithaca College.

2.23.2 PURPOSE

This policy provides general guidelines for the appropriate and reasonable expenditure of Ithaca College funds for travel related purposes.


  • Individuals traveling on Ithaca College business, regardless of the source of funds.
  • Individuals with supervisory responsibilities for Ithaca College budgets.
  • Individuals who make Ithaca College travel or business related arrangements for themselves and/or for others.
  • Individuals who initiate, review, approve, process, or record financial transactions on behalf of the College.

Departments may implement more restrictive policies and procedures to which departmental personnel should adhere.


The President, Vice Presidents, Deans and Directors are responsible for assuring that within their administrative units or schools:

• Budgeted funds are available to meet all travel or business related commitments.
• Proper authorization for travel and expenditures is obtained before any commitments are made.
• The potential benefits of the trip justify its time and expense after considering more cost effective alternatives (such as teleconferencing).
• All expenditures follow appropriate Ithaca College policies, regardless of the source of funds. Any exceptions should be properly noted, documented and approved by the appropriate Vice President.
• Added restrictions are placed on expenditures paid with federal/state funds or restricted gifts. These restrictions should be taken into account when expenditures are planned.


To ensure sound business practices and proper reporting, travel expenses must be in compliance with external regulations, particularly federal cost regulations under OMB Circular A-21, and tax regulations under the Internal Revenue Code. This policy has been developed to comply with these regulations.

Travel Services will review/revise the Travel Policy as needed. Any changes to the policy will be published on the Travel Services web page, and effective immediately.

Travelers are responsible for understanding this policy before planning any travel on behalf of the College. Travel policy training is available through Business & Finance.

The traveler must complete and submit a Spend Authorization for travel-related purchases in a timely and accurate fashion prior to making any charges using Ithaca College funds, accompanied by documentation demonstrating that expenditures incurred are reasonable and business related.

Each program, department and division is responsible for designating an appropriate Authorized Approver to approve Ithaca College travel related expenditures. Generally, this individual is the Dean, Director and/or Department Head. This individual is responsible to verify that:

• Travelers have followed all Ithaca College travel policies and procedures.
• All expenditures are reasonable and have a legitimate business purpose.
• All expenditures are supported by adequate documentation and are accurately reflected on the Ithaca College Expense Report. 
• Traveler and approver will be held accountable for adherence to Travel Policy and subject to audits by Travel Services.

This policy is divided into the following major sections:



Beginning November 1, 2021, Direct Travel will be the online booking tool for college related travel. Direct Travel will be mandatory for all domestic flights. For ease of making travel arrangements and for continual benefit to the College, Direct Travel is strongly encouraged and preferred when booking international flights and lodging. Please see link to Travel Services.

Learn more at:

Contact Direct Travel Agent Team:

  • Travel Agent Team:  
    • Email: Jetsetters@dt.com;  Phone: 1.703.650.5346
    • Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. EST
  • GetThere and Traveler Profile Support:
    • Email: onlinetoolsupport@dt.com; Phone: 1.800.999.7939
    • Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. EST / 5:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PST
  • Direct2U (D2U) Mobile App
    • Search: Direct 2U Travel
  • Emergency After-Hours Assistance:
    • 1.703.650.5346 / International +001.203.787.6266 - additional charges will apply


Spend Authorizations are approvals for expenses in IC Finance Cloud. These authorizations must be submitted and approved prior to making any travel-related purchases.

The approval chain for Spend Authorizations is determined automatically and follows a supervisor hierarchy. Any Spend Authorization over $2,000.00 will be routed to the appropriate area Vice President for approval.

All travelers and approvers should have knowledge of the Travel Policy. Inquiries and Guidelines for the funding of faculty travel related to professional and scholarly activity should be directed to the Office of the Provost at provost@ithaca.edu.


It is expected that when traveling on College business travelers will utilize the most economical mode of transportation necessary for their trip.

Only Ithaca College faculty, staff and students are authorized to operate College-owned, leased, or rented vehicles and must be an approved College driver. Individuals who are not approved College drivers must pay all rental car expenses with a personal credit card, resulting in their personal automobile insurance being the primary insurance coverage (refer to "Insurance" for additional information). Any non-approved College driver who misuses a College Travel Card by paying for a rental vehicle is subject to loss of card privileges.

For information regarding the College’s Driving Policy, the approval process, leased/rental vehicles and motor vehicle accident procedures, contact the Office of Risk Management at (607) 274-3285 or go to Driving College Vehicles.

As a general rule, only Ithaca College faculty, staff and students may occupy College-owned, leased, or rented vehicles. Special circumstances may arise that require other individuals to join the College traveler. In these cases, the College traveler must contact the Office of Risk Management for approval.

Air Travel

Ithaca College covers the cost of coach class tickets. Any upgrades, enhancements, or additional travel insurance (see the Insurance and Tax Guidelines section for further details) are personal expenditures and will not be paid for by the College. First Class air travel is not an allowable expense. Advanced purchase discount tickets should be purchased whenever possible and every effort must be made to obtain the lowest fare possible.

College Fleet Vehicles

Ithaca College maintains a fleet of vehicles that are available for business travel use. These vehicles range in size from mid-size cars (including hybrid vehicles) to passenger vans (maximum seating capacity of 7). Contact Office of Facilities Grounds and Transportation for questions related to College Fleet Vehicle rentals.

Rental Vehicles

When a College fleet vehicle is not available, travelers can take advantage of the College’s preferred vendor relationship with Enterprise Rent-A-Car.

• Travelers are highly encouraged to rent hybrid and fuel efficient vehicles when available and rental costs are similar to those of conventional vehicles
• Rental of luxury or sport utility vehicles is not permitted
• When renting a car, fuel costs will be reimbursed based upon actual fuel purchased, not mileage.
• When renting a vehicle from an outside rental agency (e.g., Enterprise or another agency), only minivans and compact, mid-size, and full-size cars can be rented when traveling for College business. Large passenger vans are strictly prohibited from renting.
• Please see "Rental Vehicles Allowed" at https://www.ithaca.edu/riskmanagement/driving

Bus Services

Please see Bus Chartering Procedures set forth by the Office of Risk Management for additional details. 

Personal Vehicles

  • The use of personal vehicles for approved College travel is limited to a radius of 90 miles from Ithaca College. This mileage radius was determined in an effort to include Rochester and Syracuse regional airports. Ithaca College does not reimburse employees for the use of personal vehicles when travel is greater than 90 miles one-way/180 miles round-trip from Ithaca College.

  • Mileage is the travel an employee incurs beyond normal commute mileage (from home to the primary office and home again) on a normal workday.

  • If the distance to the business event is less than the normal commute, then mileage is not reimbursable.

  • The daily commute mileage from home to work is to be subtracted from any mileage reimbursement.

  • For travel on a non-workday, mileage is reimbursable from home to the event (not to exceed 180 miles round-trip).

Ithaca College reimburses for business related use of personal vehicles based upon the current IRS standard mileage reimbursement rate. Gasoline purchased for a personal vehicle is not reimbursable, nor should it be charged to an Ithaca College Travel Card. The mileage reimbursement rate is intended to cover the costs of operating a car for business purposes. The costs are for standard maintenance, repairs, taxes, gas, insurance, and registration fees.

It is recommended, and more cost effective, to park a personal vehicle at an airport rather than a College fleet/rental vehicle.

Expenses incurred for personal vehicles for mechanical failure or accidents, including personal automobile insurance deductions, will not be reimbursed. Fines for parking or traffic violations are the responsibility of the traveler and will not be reimbursed.

As stated in the Insurance and Tax Guidelines section below, when using a personal vehicle for college-related business travel, the vehicle’s insurance will be considered primary coverage in the event of an accident. The traveler is responsible for any deductibles under the policy. The College's insurance may apply only if personal insurance limits are exceeded due to a catastrophic accident where a fatality and/or extremely serious injuries occur while on approved College business related travel. 


Ithaca College will pay for single room rate accommodations.

  • Travelers are encouraged to charge reservations using the Ithaca College Travel Card.
  • Travelers are permitted to stay in the hotel in which the conference is being held.
  • Educational or corporate discounts should be requested when reservations are made.
  • Reimbursements will be made for reasonable lodging expenses for each night away from home. Detailed receipts from the motel/hotel are required.
  • Ithaca College is exempt from sales tax in some states. Travelers are required to obtain sales‐tax exemption(s) where permitted. See the Insurance and Tax Guidelines section below for further details.
  • AirBnb, VRBO, etc. is NOT approved as a lodging provider.

It is the responsibility of the traveler to cancel any room reservation that will not be used. A record of the cancellation number should be retained in case of billing disputes. If an employee fails to cancel a reservation in a timely manner, they will be held responsible for any cancellation fees.

While traveling on College business, travelers who decide to stay with colleagues, family or friends to avoid the expense of staying in a hotel may provide their host with a non-cash gift up to $50 in value.

Appropriate gifts include but are not limited to flowers, groceries, or a restaurant meal. For meals, the gift value is the amount of the host’s meal only. These gifts must be purchased and presented to the host during the trip.

Gifts in lieu of lodging must be charged to a departmental account and not as a direct or indirect cost to a federal grant or contract, because of government regulations. Reimbursements for In Lieu of Lodging Gifts must be submitted on the traveler’s approved Expense Report Form with an explanation for the gift and supporting receipt(s).

Please refer to Ithaca Lodging Rates when booking lodging for individuals visiting campus on official College business.


The College will pay for the reasonable cost of meals while traveling on College business. Fiscal prudence and common sense should be used. Detailed receipts are required for reimbursement for meal and miscellaneous expenses exceeding $30 USD per meal or transaction. Expenditures determined to be excessive will not be reimbursed or paid for by the College. When entertaining guests while on College business, Employee Attendees and Nonemployee Attendees need to be added using the Expense Item Types: Event Meals & Entertainment (7494) and Non-Event Meals & Entertainment (7492) including their professional affiliation. Travelers are required to obtain sales-tax exemption(s) where applicable. See the Insurance and Tax Guidelines section for further details.


Miscellaneous expenses are defined as fees associated with ground transportation charges, gratuities given to porters or hotel staff, baggage fees, parking, toll charges, or any authorized expense that is not for a meal, lodging, or airfare. Transactions $30 or less do not require a receipt. Transactions greater than $30 USD must be substantiated by acceptable receipt documentation. This does not apply to grant accounts.


Federal regulations prohibit the College from reimbursing any expenditure for alcoholic beverages with federal funds. Reimbursements for alcoholic beverages from non-federal funds must be considered reasonable and prudent and should be submitted on an approved Expense Report with supporting documentation. Expenditures determined to be excessive will not be reimbursed or paid for by the College. Alcohol will not be paid for with College funds if consumed other than with a meal.


Conference registration fees should be paid for with the Ithaca College Travel Card. If the organization does not accept the College’s credit card, a Voucher Authorization Form (VAF) should be completed and sent to Travel Services. When submitting an Expense Report, you must attach a copy of the conference agenda or website link.

Ithaca College will not pay for any conference or workshop expenses unless supervisory approval is received via a Spend Authorization.


Travelers are responsible for all charges, cancellations, and refunds associated with Ithaca College approved travel. Ithaca College does not carry insurance for expenses associated with trip cancellations.

Trip cancellation insurance is not to be paid for with College funds and is not a reimbursable expense.


Travel that is funded by a Federal or State grant or contract, must adhere to all Ithaca College policies and procedures as well as any additional restrictions required by the grant or contract authority. Questions regarding allowable expenditures should be directed to Financial Services at (607) 274-5795.

Federal and State Grants may be audited and are subject to external and internal controls. It will be the responsibility of the Departmental Coordinator and the Travel Card Program Administrator to see that all travel card transactions for Federal and State Grants are signed by the Principal Investigator, have appropriate documentation and approvals, and are in compliance with the College policies and procedures outlined in this document. It is the responsibility of the Principal Investigator to review and sign all travel card receipts and documentation for Federal or State Grant expenditures. By signing the receipts the Principal Investigator has ensured that the costs charged to the grants are allowable, allocable, and reasonable and meet the requirements of the grant or contract authority.

All itemized receipts are required for this section.


Travelers must register international travel with the Office of International Programs prior to departure at https://www.ithaca.edu/academics/international-programs/faculty-and-staff-abroad/international-travel-guidance-registry/register-your-international-travel.  It is advised to contact the Office of International Programs at (607) 274-3306 for essential information, including insurance and deadlines, prior to travel. Please see "Insurance" for additional information.

Reimbursement requests for International Travel follow the same guidelines as the general Travel Policy. Travelers must use the currency rates that were in effect on the date the expense was incurred. Travelers may use the following websites to obtain such rates: www.xe.comwww.oanda.com. For out-of-pocket expenses, enter the currency, amount, and conversion rate when creating expense items. IC Finance Cloud will convert to USD when added to an Expense Report.

International transactions charged to credit cards are automatically converted to U.S. dollars. Ithaca College Travel Card transactions will incur a 1% international transaction fee. The transaction fee should be charged to the International Transaction Fees expense type.


• If traveling with College-owned property, contact the Office of Risk Management to determine whether additional insurance is needed. When traveling with a College owned laptop, or other College owned equipment, and damage or theft occurs, the traveler’s department will be responsible for the insurance deductible. See the Insurance and Tax Guidelines section for further details. 

• Thoughtful consideration regarding expenditures for hospitality while traveling should be used. On those occasions when hospitality expenditures are beneficial to Ithaca College's educational mission, reimbursement may be requested. The relationship of the expenditure to the educational or research mission of the trip must be clearly indicated on the Expense Report. Detailed receipts are required for reimbursement.  

• Departments may reimburse prospective employees, guest lecturers or other official visitors in accordance with the Travel Policy, for authorized travel expenses incurred in connection with their travel to Ithaca College. Reimbursement requests should be submitted in Accounts Payable.  

• For moving expense reimbursement please see the Moving & Relocation website:  https://www.ithaca.edu/procurement/moving-relocation.  


• Travel Card
• Personal Funds
• EFT or Paper Checks
• Wire Transfers
• Cash Advances


The primary Travel Card Program Administrator is the Travel Services Specialist, (607) 274-1480 or travel@ithaca.edu

It is recommended that travelers use the College’s Travel Card to pay for College-related travel expenses. The Ithaca College Travel Card program is designed to provide employees with a convenient method to pay for all approved travel related College expenses. The College’s Travel Card may not be used to pay for personal expenses. 

The Ithaca College Travel Card application is available from the Travel and Expenses dashboard. All applications are subject to review and approval by the Travel Card Program Administrator. More information can be found here: https://www.ithaca.edu/travel-services/travel-card.

The Ithaca College Purchasing Card, which is administered by Accounts Payable, is to be used for non-travel related expenses (i.e. printing or office supplies).

Cardholder Responsibilities

Transactions made with the Ithaca College Travel Card require Expense Items to be updated in IC Cloud. The receipt must be attached if over $30, along with an approved Spend Authorization. All charges must be added to an Expense Report and submitted for approval within 10 days, including Prepaid Travel expenses. Multiple expense reports per trip are allowed. If after 30 days an expense report is not submitted for approval, the individual[PG1]  card holder and their supervisor will receive an initial email reminder to complete their expense report as soon as possible.  If after 60 days an expense report is not submitted for approval, the individual card holder and their Dean, Vice President, or the President will receive an email reminder.  If after 90 days an expense report is not submitted for approval, the College will suspend the cardholders privileges until all transactions over 10 days have been resolved and any expenses that are 90 days or more outstanding may be treated as income to the employee. These funds will be subject to required payroll tax withholding and reported on the employee’s W-2. 

Note: card holders will not be allotted any credit limit increase if they have unreconciled charges on their card that are 30 days or more.

 [PG1]Highlighting is a prior update from Travel that had mistakenly been omitted from online policy


The following responsibilities, though not inclusive, are required and must be followed by all cardholders:

• Comply with the Ithaca College Travel Policy
• Assure charges incurred are within the limits assigned to the card
• Address any questions regarding the use of the Travel Card to Travel Services
• Report the loss of the card immediately (see Card Security section of this document)
• Resolve disputes with vendors (see Disputing Transactions section of this document)
• Purchasing and travel card charges will load directly to the employee's Expense dashboard for review.
• Create expense items for out-of-pocket reimbursements, purchasing and travel card charges.
• Employee has option to select a delegate to assist and view Spend Authorizations, Cash Advances, Expense Items, and Expense Reports.
• Review monthly Travel Card statement and report any issues immediately.
• Ensure sales tax is not applied to Travel Card transactions. The cardholder must supply supporting documentation in the event that sales tax is charged. 

Cardholders are personally liable for any non-college business transactions and any administrative fees charged in connection with this type of activity.
All credit card transactions and Expense Reports are subject to periodic audits to ensure compliance with College policies and procedures.

On‐going Privileges

An annual review of all cardholder’s travel activity will be performed by the Travel Card Program Administrator. This review ensures compliance with the College’s Travel Policy and allows the Travel Card Program Administrator to determine the continued need for the card.

Consequences for Misuse

Individuals using Ithaca College Travel Cards are accountable for all transactions occurring with the card. Consequences may include card suspension, card revocation, and/or disciplinary action.

Card Security

Cardholders are responsible for safeguarding their Ithaca College Travel Card and must not allow others to use their card. This is considered a misuse of the Travel Card (please see Consequences for Misuse above). 

If the card is lost or stolen:

• Notify JPMorgan Chase immediately, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

within the U.S. (800) 316-6056
outside the U.S. (847) 488-3748

• Immediately notify your Departmental Coordinator and the College’s Travel Card Program Administrator (607) 274-1480.
• The cardholder will be issued a new card promptly. If the lost/stolen card is later found by the cardholder, it should be destroyed.

Disputing Transactions

Cardholders are responsible for initiating the dispute resolution process if fraudulent charges appear on their account. To begin the dispute resolution process:

• Contact JPMorgan Chase immediately, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

within the U.S. (800) 316-6056
outside the U.S. (847) 488-3748

• Immediately notify your Departmental Coordinator and the College’s Travel Card Program Administrator (607) 274-1480.

Termination of Employee Participation

Your participation in the Ithaca College Travel Card program ends upon termination of employment with Ithaca College.

Prior to separation from the College, the cardholder shall surrender his/her Travel Card and all outstanding receipts to their Department Coordinator who will then forward the card to the Travel Card Program Administrator for cancellation.

Departmental Coordinator Responsibilities

Traveler or cardholder can assign a delegate to assist with submitting Spend Authorizations, Cash Advances, updating credit cards, and Expense Reports. 

Authorized Approver Responsibilities

• Attest that the purpose of all expenses are valid and directly related to College business.
• Request further documentation or explanation for expenses that appear to be excessive or unusual in relation to the nature of the business travel.
• Spend Authorizations and Cash Advances follow HR Hierarchy for approvals.
• Expense Reports follow Cost Center Manager for approvals.
• Incomplete or inaccurate expense reports submitted to IC Finance Cloud will be returned to the traveler for corrections.
• Travel Services will be conducting internal audits for policy adherence.


While the Ithaca College Travel Card is the preferred method of payment for travel expenses, those without access to a Travel Card (students, non-employees, and employees who may travel too infrequently to apply for a Travel Card) may use cash or a personal credit card to pay for travel expenses. Non-employee and student reimbursements should be requested through Accounts Payable.

Prepaid travel expenses (such as airline tickets) purchased with personal funds will not be reimbursed until after the trip or event has taken place.


Purchase Orders

Purchase Orders can be submitted for travel related expenses by providing documentation to assigned Departmental Coordinator.

Voucher Authorization Forms (VAF)

The Voucher Authorization Form (VAF) can be used to request payments to vendors for travel related expenses less than $2,000. The signed form must be accompanied by an original itemized invoice. Previous payments related to this invoice must be noted on the form.


Wire transfers are used for International Travel to pay for pre-trip travel arrangements. To initiate a wire transfer request, visit the Services page in the Business and Finance User Portal, submit an Expense/AP request, and follow the instructions for completing a wire transfer.

When requesting wire transfers please include:

• Beneficiary bank name                            • Beneficiary name
• Beneficiary bank address                         • Beneficiary account number
• Beneficiary bank phone number                • Reference memo
• Beneficiary bank SWIFT (BIC) Code           • Currency in which funds are to be transferred


Ithaca College limits cash advances to employees traveling internationally, with student group programs, or extended stays (seven or more consecutive days). Cash advances are issued using Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) into the requestor’s personal bank account. Employee manages bank account information in Expense module.

Due to the administrative costs involved with monitoring cash advances and the general acceptability of credit cards, individuals traveling less than seven consecutive days may pay for business related expenses with personal funds to be reimbursed upon return. The College offers personal reimbursement via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT), which expedites the amount of time it takes to receive approved reimbursements.

  • Open cash advances will automatically be applied to the first expense report that has money due to the employee. This may not be the trip that the cash advance applied to.
  • Cash advance amounts should be limited. Any unspent funds must be returned.
  • Upon return from travel, unused portions of cash advances are to be returned to CFCU within  five business days.
  • It is important to note that all College Travel Cards are issued with the cash advance feature turned off.



Regardless of the payment method utilized, detailed receipts and/or supporting documentation for each transaction is required. All itemized receipts should include the date and name of the establishment.

Examples of unacceptable forms of receipts include:

• Copies of credit card statements
• Non-itemized hotel statements (for non-lodging expenses)
• Non-itemized restaurant receipts
• Receipts without form of payment indicated

Purchasing card expenses require a receipt. Receipts for travel expenses $30 and under are not required. Different departments may have different regulations on what is required. Contact your department's Cost Center Manager for reference. All grant funded accounts require receipts.

It is best practice, but not required, for the traveler to retain all receipts for claimed expenses $30 or less until the Expense Report is processed. Approvers have the right to inquire about any expenses $30 & less.

Expense Mobile Application

Use the Oracle Fusion Expense Mobile Application to create and upload expenses to Oracle Cloud Expenses. The mobile application supports:

  • iPhone devices
  • Android devices

Search: Oracle Fusion Expense Mobile Application

Expense Items and Expense Reports

Within ten business days of completion of travel, all travelers must submit an Expense Report with an approved Spend Authorization.

  • Purchases made using a Purchasing or Travel Card will be loaded automatically into IC Finance Cloud as Expense Items and will need to be updated by the cardholder or a delegate assigned by the cardholder.
  • Out-of-pocket reimbursement requests must be submitted within 60 days of incurring the expense.
  • For International Travel, additional instructions can be found in the International Travel section of this policy.

In order to comply with IRS regulations, Ithaca College employees must submit an Expense Report in IC Finance Cloud within 10 days of completion of travel. In the event that an Expense Report is not submitted to IC Finance Cloud within 60 days, any college paid expenses will be treated as income to the employee. These funds will be subject to required payroll tax withholding and reported on the employee's W-2.

College related travel expenses incurred using personal funds will be ineligible for reimbursement after 60 days.


Reimbursements for telephone calls made while traveling on Ithaca College business, including those calls necessary to obtain transportation and hotel reservations, communicate with the office, and one personal call per day are allowable.

Requests for reimbursements via an Expense Report must be approved by a Cost Center Manager.  The Cost Center Manager is responsible for ensuring that the transaction(s) are valid and directly related to College business, and must be at least one management level above the person submitting the request. The Cost Center Manager may request further documentation or explanation for expenses that appear to be excessive or unusual in relation to the nature of the travel. All supporting documentation must accompany the Expense Report when submitted to IC Finance Cloud.

Incomplete or inaccurate expense reports submitted to IC Finance Cloud will be returned to the employee for completion or correction.

Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) is encouraged whenever possible. This allows for a timely transfer of funds directly into the employee's bank account. EFT payments are processed by Accounts Payable every Monday, Wednesday and Friday (excluding Holidays). In the Expenses app, select Manage Bank Accounts to designate the account for reimbursement. This information links from the HR system and will automatically be the primary bank for all reimbursements. If no account is selected, a paper check will be issued.

For examples of Reimbursable and Non-Reimbursable expenses, please see Appendix A.



Ithaca College owned, rented, or leased vehicles are insured under the College’s domestic automobile liability insurance policy within the United States, including Puerto Rico.  All College drivers must first be approved to operate a vehicle by having an acceptable Motor Vehicle Record and meet all driving criteria. Approved College drivers who are renting or leasing a vehicle from a U.S. rental company do not need to purchase the “collision damage waiver” offered by rental companies.

Contact the Office of Risk Management and Insurance to discuss insurance implications when renting a vehicle(s) outside of the U.S. Please refer to “International Vehicle Rentals" for additional information and procedures.

If a motor vehicle accident occurs while traveling domestically or internationally, contact the Office of Risk Management immediately and follow the College’s required motor vehicle accident procedures.

When an employee (third-party) uses a personal vehicle for approved College business, the employee must carry a personal automobile insurance policy on the vehicle, including collision, liability, property damage, and comprehensive insurance. The personal auto policy will be primary coverage. The College is not responsible for any insurance claims or deductibles under the third-party’s policy. The College's insurance policies may apply as excess coverage only in certain circumstances.


The College carries an international insurance policy for all employees who travel outside of the United States.  The policy is for medical (accident and sickness coverage only; it is not for routine medical care/treatment) and security.  The College will not pay for any expenses that are not covered under the policy.  Employees must follow insurance policy procedures for coverage to apply.  Additional information is located at https://www.ithaca.edu/academics/international-programs/faculty-and-staff-abroad/international-insurance.  

Travel needs to be registered with International Programs. See "International Travel."


Ithaca College employees are covered under a travel accident insurance policy, which provides 24-hour protection in the event of accidental death or dismemberment while traveling on approved College business. The beneficiary for the travel accident insurance is the same beneficiary designated under the employee’s Ithaca College Group Life Insurance. Ithaca College will not pay or reimburse for additional accident or life insurance.  Insurance questions can be directed to the Office of Risk Management and Insurance.


This policy covers employees who are injured or become ill as a direct result of their job and also covers employees during College domestic and international travel.

Any incident that occurs while traveling on College business needs to be reported immediately to the Office of Public Safety, Office of Human Resources, and the Office of Risk Management and Insurance. 


Ithaca College's insurance policies do not cover aircraft liability associated with non-commercial air travel. Therefore, a personally owned, rented or borrowed aircraft cannot be used when traveling on Ithaca College business. If Ithaca College business travel requires the use of a privately chartered aircraft, please consult with the Office of Risk Management at least four weeks prior to departure.


If an injury or illness occurs during College travel, employee must notify the Office of Public Safety immediately and provide details.  If traveling internationally, please refer to the “Insurance” section for additional information on the medical and security insurance for employees.

If an employee is injured, a Workers' Compensation Incident Report Form must be completed within 24 hours and submitted to the Office of Human Resources. Workers' Compensation insurance covers those who are injured or become ill as a direct result of their job. Please contact Human Resources with any questions.


Ithaca College is not responsible for employees' personal property/belongings and does not carry insurance to cover a loss of, or damage to such items during College travel. The College recommends that employees contact their personal insurance company or refer to their homeowners policy about coverage, if needed prior to travel.  The College's insurance broker does offer a personal property insurance policy and information is available from the Office of Risk Management, see "Personal Property."  

If an employee will be traveling with Ithaca College property, all items need to be accounted for before and after the trip. An itemized list needs to be generated prior to travel, including item descriptions, serial numbers, replacement value, etc. If loss or damage occurs to College property, the College employee who is responsible for the property needs to report the incident immediately to the local police (location where loss occurred), Office of Public Safety, College supervisor, and to the Office of Risk Management. The police report and Public Safety report are needed for College purposes. The department's responsibility for the loss or damage will be determined once the incident is assessed, including insurance deductible(s). If traveling outside of the U.S. with College property, contact the Office of Risk Management.



Ithaca College is a not-for-profit institution and is exempt from New York State sales tax on all goods and services purchased by employees for business use. In order to obtain the sales tax exemption, present the Sales Tax Exempt Form to the vendor at the time service is rendered or goods are received and paid for.

Ithaca College is exempt from sales tax in the following states:

Florida                          Mississippi                       Rhode Island
Kansas                         New Jersey                   Texas
Maine                           New York                       Wisconsin
Michigan                       North Dakota                

Travelers may obtain copies of Tax Exempt Forms from the Travel Services website.

If sales tax exemption is denied using the Ithaca College JP Morgan Chase Trave Card, note the name of the vendor, a contact person, and telephone number so that Departmental Coordinator may follow up with the vendor. If cash or personal credit card is used, vendors are not required to honor Ithaca College’s sales tax exemption. Therefore, it is beneficial and cost effective to use the JP Morgan Chase Travel Card.

If sales tax is paid because the service provider does not accept the Ithaca College Sales Tax Exempt Form reimbursements are allowed. In this case, a written explanation must be submitted with the Expense Report Form.



The following list is presented only as a guide and is not intended to be a complete list of expenses reimbursable by the College: 

  • Transportation, lodging and meal expenses, including tips
  • One standard airline baggage charge per flight, for the employee’s luggage only
  • Expenses associated with baggage handling, storage, and tips
  • Internet and fax charges
  • Hospitality directly related to the educational or research purpose of the trip
  • Gifts for hosts, in lieu of meals/lodging, may be provided with a non-cash gift up to $50 in value, See statement under Gifts in Lieu of Lodging
  • Laundry expenses when away for seven or more consecutive days
  • Fitness facility (employees are encouraged to book lodging with free facilities when possible)
  • Telephone calls, including those calls necessary to obtain transportation and hotel reservations, communication with the office, and one personal call per day 


The following list is presented only as a guide and is not intended to be a complete list of expenses not reimbursable by the College:

  • Upgrades – air, hotel or car rental
  • Unused transportation or hotel reservations not properly cancelled
  • Portion of air travel, train travel, auto rental, mileage, hotel costs or meals for personal use
  • Additional insurance such as travel, travel accidental death/dismemberment , trip cancellation, general liability, auto and collision damage waiver
  • Personal travel rewards and frequent flier
  • Personal expenses such as movies, haircuts, reading material, toiletries, medicine, sauna or spa/massage treatments
  • Personal telephone calls in excess of one per day
  • Childcare fees, kennel costs, pet or house-sitting fees
  • Mileage to and from employee’s home and primary office
  • Restaurant gift cards
  • Expenses incurred by non-College employees or students
  • Gasoline expenses when the personal automobile mileage reimbursement rate is claimed
  • Laundry expenses for trips less than seven days
  • Traffic fines, court costs, parking violations and auto repairs
  • NYS Sales Tax and sales tax paid in states that recognize Ithaca College's tax exempt status
  • NYS Sales Tax charged to a non-approved College driver of a rental vehicle
  • Other expenses not directly related to the business purpose of the trip

Last Updated:  January 2023