Only Ithaca College faculty and staff who have an acceptable Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) and have been approved to drive a College Vehicle (this includes College-owned, leased, or rental agency vehicles), by the Office of Risk Management, are authorized to reserve and operate College Vehicles. Students also need to be approved drivers by having an acceptable MVR and must complete additional requirements.  Students are only allowed to operate a College Vehicle in the United States.  The MVR is a report that contains information about an individual’s driving history, including traffic violations, accidents, etc.  Please refer to the information below and also the  Ithaca College Policy Manual, 2.16.

Faculty and Staff Driving

All Ithaca College faculty and staff who need to drive a College vehicle for College business or a College activity must authorize the College to check their MVR by completing a Driver Information Form to become an approved driver prior to operating a College Vehicle. Staff and faculty who are licensed in New York State (NYS) and who submitted a Driver Information Form after August 2014 will not need to submit a subsequent Form, since an individual’s MVR is now continuously monitored by an MVR vendor and Risk Management will be notified about all motor vehicle activity, including infractions and accidents.

When such infractions or accidents are evidenced on an MVR, they are reviewed against the Driving College Vehicles Policy to determine if an individual meets the criteria of an acceptable driver.  Individuals licensed outside of NYS must resubmit a Driver Information Form every two academic years.  The individual, their respective supervisor, and Human Resources when necessary, will be notified only if their MVR contains unacceptable risk and they are not approved to drive.

Student Driving (Undergraduate & Graduate Students)

  • The required age for driving outside the boundaries of Tompkins County is a minimum of 21 years of age.
  • The required age for driving in Tompkins County only is a minimum of 19 years of age.
  • Students must have a minimum of two years of driving experience after obtaining a driver’s license and complete and follow all requirements to become an approved College driver.

Once a student becomes an approved College driver, a student must resubmit a Driver Information Form every twelve months and also pass a written test on driver safety in the Office of Risk Management; prior to taking the test, a student must review the Student Driver Handbook

Note: Student drivers must be relieved of driving responsibilities every 3 hours; if travel will exceed three hours (one way), then two approved drivers are required.  Further detail is located in the Student Driver Handbook.

The student and their respective supervisor will be notified only if their MVR contains unacceptable risk and they are not approved to drive.

Vehicle Rentals

Domestic Vehicle Rentals

If renting a vehicle in the United States, including Puerto Rico, there is no need to purchase the Collision Damage Waiver that is offered by the rental agency. However, if an accident occurs that involves injuries or damage to the rental vehicle, another vehicle, or other property damage (to a structure, building, guardrail, etc.), it must be reported immediately to the local police agency, rental agency, and to the Offices of Public Safety and Risk Management at Ithaca College, no matter how minor the injury or damage is.

International Vehicle Rentals

Employees who rent a vehicle outside of the United States, except for Canada, must purchase the Collision Damage Waiver offered by the rental agency.  An employee must be an approved College driver prior to arranging for and operating a vehicle in another country and the approved College driver must meet all applicable laws in the country where the operation of a vehicle will occur.  Please review "Rental Vehicles Allowed" for the types of vehicles that are approved to be rented under the College name. Students are not allowed to operate vehicles outside of the United States, including Canada and Mexico.  Every accident with or without injuries, including any property damage, needs to be reported immediately to the local police, the rental agency, and to the Offices of Public Safety and Risk Management at Ithaca College.

Rental Vehicles Allowed

If renting a vehicle from an outside rental agency (e.g., Enterprise, Hertz, Avis, an international agency, etc.), only minivans and compact, mid-size, and full-size cars can be rented under Ithaca College policies. For more information related to renting a vehicle at a local Enterprise agency, visit Travel Services.

If a department needs to rent a large vehicle for special purposes for domestic travel (e.g., a U-Haul van/truck), contact Risk Management prior to making any rental arrangements. These requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and will also need to be reviewed by the respective department’s supervisor and possibly by others. Not all requests may be able to be accommodated. Only College employees who are approved College drivers and have sufficient experience driving large vehicles will be approved to operate such vehicles, as determined by Risk Management and the respective department’s supervisor.

Students are only permitted to drive smaller vehicles and in the United States only (e.g., sedan, minivan, etc.). It is common for a rental company to issue a rental agreement and request evidence of auto insurance from the College. A rental agreement is considered a contract; therefore, it would be governed by the College's contract policy; only certain individuals at the College have signatory authority, which is stated in the contract policy.

Motor Vehicle Accident Reporting Procedures

Please review the Motor Vehicle Accident Procedures and Emergency Contact Brochure before driving College vehicles.

Motor Vehicle Accident Deductibles

When an at-fault motor vehicle accident occurs involving a College Vehicle, the department will be charged an automobile insurance deductible to assist with covering the cost to repair the vehicle. The vehicle damage assessment is conducted by the Ithaca College garage and by an outside automobile repair shop. The deductible that will be charged to a department will either be $500 or $1,000, which will depend on the type of College Vehicle.  Only approved College drivers are authorized to operate a College Vehicle.

Refer to the Ithaca College Policy Manual, section 2.16.

Transporting Individuals Not Affiliated with Ithaca College