Housing Accommodation Requests

Students requesting housing accommodations due to a documented disability should complete the process below at least 3 weeks prior to Residential Life's housing deadlines.

SAS engages in an interactive process with each student and reviews requests for accommodations on an individualized, case-by-case basis. 

  • Once appropriate accommodations are determined, SAS communicates the approved accommodations to the Office of Residential Life, and Residential Life makes an assignment based on room availability.

Procedure and timeline

Housing accommodations are decided by the SAS housing committee.  The committee meets once a week to review student files, documentation, and forms.  The committee reviews files in the order in which they were completed.   

Please note SAS housing accommodation decisions can take up to three weeks once all of the procedural steps below have been completed. 

While seeking a housing accommodation through SAS, students are encouraged to engage with and complete any steps provided by Residential Life for housing selection, as the accommodation process and the housing process are separate.  

How to Request a Housing Accommodation 

In order to request a housing accommodation you must: 

  • Provide documentation that supports your request to Student Accessibility Services. Please refer to our Documentation Guidelines.  

    • Documentation supporting housing requests must contain the following specific criteria: 

      • Documentation must be written by a licensed professional 

      • Must include a formal diagnosis that rises to the level of a disability as per ADA guidelines. 

      • Contain functional limitations related to the disability (Specifically, the impact, severity, frequency, and/or pervasiveness of the condition.) 

      • Documentation should address why the accommodation requested is a need for the student. 

Professionals can send the documentation to: sas@ithaca.edu or fax to our office at (607) 274-3957.

Do not submit your form or documentation directly to Residential Life. 

Note on Single Room Accommodation: In general, diagnoses such as ADD/ADHD or Specific Learning Disability do not lend themselves to single room accommodations. A single room cannot guarantee a quiet environment. Students who need to study in a quiet environment can have their study needs met in areas such as the library or other designated quiet study areas on campus. We will evaluate each request on a case-by-case basis.