Students requiring special housing accommodations due to a diagnosed disability supported by relevant documentation should contact Student Accessibility Services (SAS) as early as possible.  Student Accessibility Services will work in conjunction with the Office of Residential Life to make every effort to provide the most appropriate, on-campus, housing assignment for you based on the functional limitations of your disability.

Students seeking a dietary accommodation related to the meal plan must submit a completed Application for Dietary Accommodations. The documentation request form will ask the provider to make the appropriate recommendations based on the student’s needs and on the options available at Ithaca College.  Students seeking an accommodation related to the meal plan may also need to complete a Special Housing Accommodation Request form.  

  • SAS engages in an interactive process with each student and reviews requests for accommodations on an individualized, case-by-case basis.
  • Once appropriate accommodations are determined, SAS communicates the approved accommodations to the Office of Residential Life, and Residential Life makes an assignment based on room availability

In order to request a housing accommodation you must:

  • Meet with a specialist to discuss the request
  • If not already done, register with Student Accessibility Services by completing the online Disability Identification Form.
  • Complete the request for Special Housing Accommodation form. (login with your IC email account)
  • Provide documentation that supports your request to Student Accessibility Services.  Please refer to our Documentation Guidelines.  Documentation supporting housing requests must contain the following specific criteria:
    • Documentation must be written by a licensed professional
    • Must include a formal diagnosis that rises to the level of a disability as per ADA guidelines.
    • Contain functional limitations related to the disability (Specifically, the impact, severity, frequency, and/or pervasiveness of the condition.)
    • Documentation should address why the accommodation requested is a need for the student.

Professionals can send the documentation to: or fax to our office at (607) 274-3957

Do not submit your form or documentation directly to Residential Life.

Note on Single Room Accommodation: In general, diagnoses such as ADD/ADHD or Specific Learning Disability do not lend themselves to single room accommodations.  A single room cannot guarantee a quiet environment.  Students who need to study in a quiet environment can have their study needs met in areas such as the library or other designated quiet study areas on campus.  We will evaluate each request on a case-by-case basis.