Ithaca College is committed to enhancing organizational effectiveness by providing education, training, and consulting resources that strengthen individual capability, build organizational strength, and promote a culture of excellence.
Ithaca College Core Competencies
Open and Adaptable:
- Is approachable and accessible, welcomes questions, new information and feedback, considers the merits of new ideas and approaches to work.
- Embraces and implements new ideas and approaches and discontinues approaches that are no longer working.
- Actively seeks feedback and learns from others.
- Adapts plans and actions readily and easily due to unpredictable and unexpected events, demands, and changing goals and priorities.
- Takes initiative to seek out new work challenges, influence events, and/or originate action.
Diversity and Inclusion:
- Promotes a welcoming, inclusive environment for all by interacting effectively and showing respect for differences in backgrounds, lifestyles, and viewpoints, including but not limited to race, culture, nationality, ethnicity, religion, ideas, beliefs, geographic origin, class, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, disability, age.
- Strives to gain cultural competence and awareness of one’s own cultural identity and views about difference, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms.
- Supports activities that ensure all staff has an equal opportunity to use and develop their skills and abilities and/or develop new skills.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to diversity principles and fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the organization’s goals.
- Facilitates open communication and demonstrates effective listening skills.
- Expresses clear, concise, and well-organized thoughts (written and verbal) respectfully taking into account the audience and the nature/confidentiality of the information.
- Constructively provides and receives feedback.
- Proactively anticipates, manages and takes appropriate action to address and resolve conflict.
- Identifies and sets measurable goals, articulates those goals, identifies what is needed to realize those goals, and balances conflicting goals.
- Inspires others to perform and engage in achieving their goals by promoting and supporting ongoing professional development.
- Displays and fosters integrity and honesty through the promotion of mutual trust and respect, inspires and influences others, and acknowledges the support and contribution of others.
- Demonstrates and fosters high ethical standards and treats others fairly and equitably, exercises good judgment, makes effective, sound, timely and informed decisions, and seeks to identify, analyze and resolve problems effectively.
- Exhibits emotional intelligence and self-awareness, recognizes the importance of how personal behaviors and emotions impact others, and is able to control them in healthy ways.
- Fosters a culture that promotes innovation and continuous process improvement efforts that enhance work quality and efficiency.
- Cultivates relationships and maintains effective partnerships that leverage expertise and strengthen individual and institutional performance and accomplish organizational goals.
- Strives to satisfy internal and external customers and follows up with individuals to ensure satisfaction.
Organizational Engagement and Service:
- Believes passionately that IC can create a transformative educational experience through its mission, vision and student-centered values.
- Actively participates as a member of the campus community and understands the value of their role as part of the educational experience of our students.